Replacing the th700r4 with a HD 4L80E
I lost 3rd and 4th gear in my built th700r4 after about 20 miles after I put the supercharger back in. I decided that rebuilding the stock tranny again was not an option so I started looking for stronger alternatives. Overdrive is good and I got a deal on a 4L80E so I bought it. It was an extra srtong 4L80E from a chevy 3500 HD chassis cab. The tail housing is a bit odd because that vehicle is too heavy for the park locking in the tranny. To fix that an extra parking drum brake was added to the tail housing and fixed yoke. I will modify the tail housing for a slip yoke and modify the c-beam to bolt to the tail housing.
This is a standard RWD 4L80E tail housing:
I got the stock tranny out and here it is beside the 4L80E.
I borrowed an empty 4L80E housing to make it easier to test fit it in the Corvette. It actually fit without any fiberglass cutting.
I have to shorten the C-beam quite a bit.
After modifying the tail housing and shortening the C-beam I was able to get them both into about the right place.
The C-Beam welded.
The tail housing modified for slip yoke.
Oil-cooler lines mounted.
And the final lift.
I reused the shifter cable bracket from the old th700 and I also shortend the manual shaft to get more space for the exhaust.
The new custom driveshaft from Strange Engineering.